As clean energy has boomed in the UK, one of the most exciting elements has been the growth of community energy: neighbourhoods coming together to install renewables that cut carbon, create jobs, slash fuel bills and strengthen communities.
Keep FITS Campaign 2015
As clean energy has boomed in the UK, one of the most exciting elements has been the
growth of community energy: neighbourhoods coming together to install renewables that
cut carbon, create jobs, slash fuel bills and strengthen communities.
The most devastating proposal is to cut a subsidy (known as
the Feed-in‐tariffs or ‘FITS’) for electricity
generated by small to medium-scale renewable energy sources.
In the last few months, the British Government - influenced by a powerful minority of lobbyists - have announced a raft of measures that will put the brakes on UK renewables, and the measures could likely bring an end to community energy.
Solar power in
Britain is close to being able to flourish subsidy-free and removal of support
now could undermine years of progress, and put British values, strengths and
leadership into question.
In the face of misleading voices in the British
government and media, saying renewable energy is expensive to the public purse
and unpopular, we want to run a powerful rapid-response campaign against the
cut to feed-in tariffs. As shown in a government poll in August 2015, 75% of the
UK public support renewable energy sources; one in 50 homes has solar; thousands
of schools have solar on their roof; tens of thousands of British people have invested
in or fundraised for clean energy. We will raise the volume of their stories
and projection these supportive voices on behalf of the hundreds of communities
whose efforts are now in jeopardy and whose energy futures have been thrown
With COP 21 on the very close horizon, NOW is the time to make our government stand‐up and offer the people of Britain a chance to take part in the clean energy transition.
Activities to date:
- Dedicated website and tailored consultation portal (plus case studies, news and updates) now live at www.keepfits.org - 2000 submissions made through portal already (including 1320 emails to MPs).
- 17 projects across England and Wales photograhed and interviewed - case studies <http://keepfits.org/stories/> being added to website and social media assets <https://www.facebook.com/tentenuk/photos/a.165708168513.119606.131681033513/10153669239278514/?type=3&theater> produced (ongoing).
- Campaign launched with "clean graffiti stunt" at Whitehall. Media coverage in Business Green, Solar Power Portal and Guardian.
- Delegation of pupils from England's top school (Fox Primary) took a papier mache sun signed by the whole school as their submission along to the London stakeholder consultation event. Images here <https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9k58klath18dm1q/AABJ6InGjPn96naB8ENT-dbBa?dl=0> .
- Projections made onto walls of buildings around conservative party conference - see images here <https://www.dropbox.com/sh/684vvc7h0xxzwny/AAABuEPdyzcbv0DZUwwOTZxIa?dl=0> .
- Support of and participation in FiTs coalition with STA, FoE, Solarcentury (of course!) and others.
The 10:10 Foundation, UK.